Distance Education Students at UMHB
Distance education students have access to the full array of services offered by Townsend Memorial Library. Read more about these services and extended privileges.
Ask for a free TexShare Card at our Circulation Desk. A TexShare card allows you to borrow books directly from over 500 academic and public libraries throughout the state of Texas.
Interlibrary Loan Services (ILL)
Need a book or a journal article not in the library's collection? Our Interlibrary Loan department may be able to borrow that item from another library.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with one of our Reference Librarians prior to requesting an item through ILL.
- Reference Librarians can save you time and money by helping you find the resources you need both online and in the library.
- Contact Shiloh Fulton, ILL Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (254) 295-5004, with questions about ILL.
*While our ILL department successfully fills the majority of ILL requests, we cannot guarantee that every ILL order will be filled.
Are there limits and fees for Interlibrary Loan services?
- You are limited to 5 ILL requests per week.
- You will be charged 50 cents per ordered ILL item.
- You may work with a librarian prior to ordering ILLs and avoid the 50 cent fee.
- Fees are charged upon RECEIPT of ordered items.
- There is no charge for ILL orders the library cannot fill.
- You are limited to 10 ILL requests per week.
- You will not be charged to order ILL items.
Faculty and staff:
- There are no limits on items ordered.
- There is no charge to order ILL items.
Overdue fees apply for ILL items; fees are 50 cents per day.
How long does it usually take to get items through ILL?
- Plan on 7 - 14 day turnaround time.
- You will be notified when the library receives your requested materials.
- Please provide a working e-mail address as an article may be e-mailed to you as a PDF.
- Books and hard copy articles will be held at the Circulation Desk and must be picked up within 3 weeks of notification.
- Items not picked up will be removed or returned to the lender and appropriate fees added to your library account.
Other ILL fees may apply
- If a lending library indicates a fee (usually $10-$15), these charges will be the patron's responsibility.
- Please indicate on the order form the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the item. If you choose $0, we will only request the item from free lenders.
- In some cases this may reduce your chances of getting an item (for example, most medical/nursing libraries charge ILL fees).
- In the majority of cases, items can be obtained at no additional cost outside the 50 cent fee charged to undergraduates.